Thursday, January 3, 2013

The Psalms in Our Liturgy


I am deeply convinced of the need for the Church to have a regular continual diet of the Psalms. “And they continued in the Apostles’ doctrine, and fellowship, and breaking of bread, and prayers” (Acts 2:42, Geneva Bible). I believe these “prayers” to be the Psalms. We see an example a few chapters later, where the Church prays “with one accord” (4:24), then proceeds to quote from Psalm 2. This was how they prayed together; they had a common song/prayer book, inspired of God the Holy Spirit. The Psalter is God’s means of providing believers with emotional training, teaching us to grieve, rejoice, give thanks, and even have anger in light of His glorious, holy character.

On this, the first day of the year and the first day of the month, let me share a plan for regular Psalm reading taught me by my pastor years ago. Read the Psalm number corresponding to the date, and keep adding 30 to that number until you run out of Psalms (keep Psalm 119 until the 31 and read only that Psalm on that day). For example, today is January 1. So I read Psalm 1,31,61,91,121. This simple plan will take you on a monthly journey through the entire Psalter.

I leave you with a few meditations of thankfulness on the Psalter from today’s readings.

“Blessed is the man that doth not walk in the counsel of the wicked, nor stand in the way of sinners, nor sit in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the Lord, and in His law doth he meditate day and night. For he shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of waters, that will bring forth her fruits in due season: whose leaf shall not fade: so whatsoever he shall do, shall prosper. The wicked are no so, but as the chaff, which the wind driveth away. Therefore the wicked shall not stand in the judgment, not sinners in the assembly of the righteous. For the Lord knoweth the way of the righteous” (Psalm 1).

I am thankful we get to start another year being taught by the Holy Spirit from His songbook, the Psalms. “...be fulfilled with the Spirit, speaking unto yourselves in Psalms” (Ephesians 5:18,19).

“How great is Thy goodness, which Thou hast laid up for them that fear Thee! And done to them that trust in Thee, even before the sons of men! Thou dost hide them privily in Thy presence from the pride of men: Thou keepest them secretly in Thy Tabernacle from the strife of tongues. Blessed be the Lord: for He hath showed His marvelous kindness toward me in a strong city” (Psalm 31:19-21).

I am thankful we get to start another year being taught by the Holy Spirit from His songbook, the Psalms. “Let the word of Christ dwell in you plenteously in all wisdom, teaching and admonishing your own selves, in Psalms” (Colossians 3:16).

“I will dwell in Thy Tabernacle forever, and my trust shall be under the covering of Thy wings. Selah. For Thou, O God, hast heard my desires; Thou hast given an heritage unto those that fear Thy Name...so will I always sing praise unto Thy Name, in performing daily my vows” (Psalm 61:4,5,8).

I am thankful we get to start another year being taught by the Holy Spirit from His songbook, the Psalms. “What is to be done then, brethren? When ye come together, according as every one of you hath a Psalm...let all things be done unto edifying” (1 Corinthians 14:26).

“Who so dwelleth in the secret of the most High, shall abide in the shadow of the Almighty. I will say unto the Lord, O my hope, and my fortress: He is my God, in Him will I trust” (Psalm 91:1,2).

I am thankful we get to start another year being taught by the Holy Spirit from His songbook, the Psalms. “And He said unto them, ‘These are the words, which I spake unto you while I was yet with you, that all must be fulfilled which are written of Me in...the Psalms.’ Then opened He their understanding, that they might understand the Scriptures” (Luke 24:44,45).

“I will lift up mine eyes unto the mountains, from whence my help shall come. Mine help cometh from the Lord, which hath made the heaven and the earth. He will not suffer thy foot to slip: for He that keepeth thee, will not slumber. Behold, He that keepeth Israel, will neither slumber nor sleep. The Lord is thy keeper: the Lord is thy shadow at thy right hand. The sun shall not smite thee by day, nor the moon by night. The Lord shall preserve thee from all evil: He shall keep thy soul. The Lord shall preserve thy going out, and thy coming in from henceforth and forever” (Psalm 121).

I am thankful we get to start another year being taught by the Holy Spirit from His songbook, the Psalms. “Is any among you afflicted? Let him pray. Is any merry? Let him sing [ψαλλέτω, “Psalm-sing”] (James 5:13).

No comments:

Post a Comment